Saturday, October 3, 2009

God Speaks

I've been considering, for the last few days, how God speaks to us.  We go to worship on Sunday; sometimes God shows up for that and has a few words, when we let Him.  Then there are the times when He speaks through a friend, or a TV preacher, or maybe a popular movie (i.e, The Matrix - I consider that a thundering from God).  We look to Scripture, to song, to nature...all of these are vehicles that might, can, and often do, carry the Word of God.

In 1 Kings 19, we find the story of God's prophet, Elijah, running for his life.  At the point of his deepest, most desperate frustration, fear, and longing for God to do something (we've all had days like that), God speaks.  But God doesn't speak to Elijah from the wind, or the earthquake, or the fire.  God's voice was still and small, coming from, as it's translated in the New Revised Standard Version, "a sound of sheer silence."

Sometimes, "sheer silence" is louder than a sonic boom, don't you think?

I've learned to not set boundaries on when, how, where, or why God speaks to me.  Case in point: today, He spoke on Facebook (I told you I was connecting with the unexpected on there!).  I posted about how much housework I had to do, and how much I would love  - oh, what I wouldn't give for - a nap.  Then I darted over to my cousin's site, and had the opportunity to click on an application, promising a message from God.  I had as much expectation from that as I might from one of those Magic 8 balls, but I'm always game for something silly.  Here's what popped up:

"Just rest for a moment. It's OK. Yes, things are crazy, yes, the world is going nuts. Yet, deep underneath the stormy waves, there, in the core of your being, there is pure silence, pure love. And ... it's ... just ... OK."

Okay.  So it wasn't the Magic 8 ball.  But it certainly wasn't coincidence that, as I was lamenting over my fatigue, in the face of having way too much on my plate, this spontaneous, spiritual fortune cookie generator would just tell me to rest.  But it might be my Father, God, who watched me work hard all week, struggle to keep up with my studies, fight off a little stomach bug, take care of my husband, and get home super late last night (actually, early this morning) because we were helping our son.  It might be my Father, God, who knows that when I get overtired, I also get cranky and depressed and cry way too easily.  It might be my Father, God, who says that He will give His beloved sweet sleep, who rested after a busy time of creating, and who, when He was living as a human, got tired and had no problem taking a break, having some nice R & R.

Maybe the laundry doesn't have to get done right now.  Maybe the dishes can wait.  Maybe the world won't end if I'm not three weeks ahead on my homework.  Maybe the best response I have for God's word to me isn't a reply, but a nap.  *YAWN*

"On the seventh day God finished the work that he had done, and he rested."  (Genesis 2:2)

I'm not finished with my work, but then again, I don't quite have God's stamina.  I think, however, that I'll follow His lead.  I'll wrap myself up in my Father's love, and my pink blankie, and have a nice little rest.  Maybe you'd like to do the same.

No comments: