Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Facing Fear

I have a friend who I'm really growing to admire.  I met him through the master's program I'm in; we've been enrolled in the same classes for nearly two years.  He's a veteran from Operation Enduring Freedom, and was returned from Iraq short one leg; better than coming back in a body bag, although it was a pretty close shave for him.  What I admire about him is that, after having such a traumatic, life altering experience, instead of wallowing in disappointment with the way things turned out, or allowing what some might call a "disability" limit him, he has overcome multiple obstacles and now serves as an example and support to others, not only veterans, but those who have some overcoming to do.

We were chatting tonight, and he was telling me not about what wonderful things he's doing with other veterans, and not about how he's planning on using the master's degree he's earning to influence national policy (both of which I know he's actively pursuing), but about how afraid he is.  Telling his story, putting himself out there, reliving his experience time and time again - these things cause him fear.  But, in the manner of a true overcomer, he looks at his fear and walks right through it.  And in so doing, he helps others around him do the same.  A true overcomer always brings others with him.

In our adult Bible study, we've been studying the book of Revelation (ooh, aah, scary).  I am, by no means, an expert in Scripture, although I have studied it for most of my life.  And I am certainly no authority on prophetic writings, although I certainly have some opinions regarding such.  I do consider myself, however, to have a pretty keen sense of observation, and in the early chapters of this profound book, Christ exhorts the churches to "overcome", or "conquer"; not once, but seven times.  That's a lot of repetition; it must be important.  "To everyone who conquers, I will..." and He lists a variety of rewards (see chapters 2 & 3).  By extension, He promises His followers today the same rewards for conquering.

What are we to conquer?  If we take our example from those early congregations, we are to overcome: love grown old and stale (Ephesus), persecution (Smyrna), tolerance of idolatry (Pergamum & Thyatira), apathy (Sardis), fatigue & discouragement (Philadelphia), and lack of commitment (Laodicea).  In my life, I have experienced all of them, on multiple occasions (well, more like seasons - long stretches of time).  And every time I've made it through, to the other side, of a period of, say, idolatry or discouragement or fatigue, I find that not only have I grown stronger, but I also have a new weapon in my spiritual arsenal, a weapon that will not only help me in my spiritual battle, but one that will help someone else: a true overcomer always brings others with him.

My friend just published his first book*, and, despite his fear, is spreading his story of personal overcoming and victory to many, many hurting people.  I know God will use him greatly, because he has refused to give into his fear.  The question that leaves me with is this: what am I afraid of?  What phantom is terrorizing me into paralysis and inaction?  What could God possibly do with me if I looked my fear dead in the face and, by His grace, walked through it?

There's only one way to find out.

(*You can check out my friend's book, Exit Wounds, as well as the companion website, at http://www.painfoundation.org/learn/programs/military-veterans/)

No comments: